Guided by Textile Designer/Artist Kathy Barlow, we'll gather together online and practice techniques and rules unique to Sashiko as you learn how to craft two striking art pieces. We'll put a contemporary spin on traditional designs when we add sparkle and light to our pieces with copper and gold metallic thread accents.
In this workshop you'll also learn:
• How to mark your fabric.
• How to incorporate playful colored threads in your design.
• Ideas for using Sashiko in fashion & home pieces (such as the amazing bag pictured!).
• Local and online supplies sources.
Kathy has gathered all the specialty materials you'll need, and has assembled Sashiko kits that include:
• One 12" and one 18" square, dark indigo linen/cotton blend Sashiko fabric (one for each pattern)
• 20 meters white cotton Sashiko thread
• 2 yards Mouline copper metallic embroidery floss
• 1 meter Kreinik gold embroidery braid
• 1 Japanese Sashiko palm ring thimble
• 2 Sashiko stitching needles
• 1 needle puller
• 1 pair Japanese scissors
• 1 sheet Olympus fabric-marking carbon paper
• 2 printed patterns:
- Nowaki (Grasses) with Gold Accents 6" x 6"
- Hexagon Triangles with Copper Accents 9.5" w x 7.5" h
No embroidery experience is necessary. Besides your kit, you may want to have on hand an embroidery hoop (only used for the metallic accents--the Sashiko stitching is done without a hoop). We will do the live class on Zoom and have some optional class information available on a Facebook group.
Order the class and kit option by Thursday, July 2 to ensure arrival in time for the live class on July 12. Choose the curbside pickup option if you would like to get your kit at the Craft+Work studio in Pacifica the week before class (we will contact you with pickup time). At this time, shipping is limited to the US. If you prefer to attend class only, choose the class only option.
About the instructor:
Northern California textile designer and textile arts instructor Kathy Barlow believes that everyone is creative, and she helps her students explore their own artistic spirit. Kathy travels the world to study traditional textile arts, then adds her own contemporary sensibility to create compelling designs and workshops. She recently completed a Block Printing tour of India. Stay in touch with Kathy for creative inspiration and to learn about her signature printing blocks, patterns and classes. Facebook.com/DesignerKathyBarlow Instagram.com/homeworkshopkathy/